Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Book Tag

    Besides collecting makeup and beauty products, I am obsessed with collecting books. Not only because I love to read, but I also just love the feeling of having a huge collection of books. I find there to be so much beauty in a packed bookcase hiding all these wonderful stories away and with all the eReaders that are out now, like the Nook and Kindle, I feel like it's even more sacred. Books hold a big place in my heart and even my fondest memories of my childhood correlate with books; Sleepovers before Harry Potter book releases, going to book signings, reading when times were hard... It's just always been my escape, my therapy, and my hobby!

    As you guys know if you've been keeping up with me on here, I plan to incorporate more book related content on the blog as a part of expanding this blog to contain all of my loves, not only makeup and beauty! I've only posted a book haul thus far, but I have a lot more posts up my sleeve in the near future! My next book related post is something I'm really excited for, because I'm composing a "Summer Reading List" for myself and can't wait to share it with you all! For today's post, however, I'm going to be doing a book tag!

    Tags are usually done in videos, but they can also be blogged! I took a tag I found on a book blog, as well as some random questions from different book tags I found and compiled them all together.
If you have a blog, I tag you to do this as well! & if you don't, feel free to do this (or even answer a couple of the questions) in the comments below! I'd love to read it and maybe get some ideas of new things to check out/get to know you guys better!

Enjoy!



1. What is your favorite book?
The ENTIRE Harry Potter series is my favorite piece of literature that will ever exist on this Earth. Out of those, The Deathly Hallows is my absolute favorite!

The Hunger Games series is also a collection of my favorites, especially the first two books.
Besides series, my favorites are "Looking for Alaska" by John Green, "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" by Steven Chbosky, "Haunted", "Diary", and "Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk,

2. Who is your favorite author?
J.K Rowling is a given being that she's written HP, but outside of that, I am and have been for years completely and utterly obsessed with Chuck Palahniuk and John Green.



3. Would you ever purchase an eReader?
No. I love having a physical book in my hand and then being able to put it back in the book shelf when I'm finished. I want to have an entire library worth of books one day, so opting for an electronic book over real books is out of the question!

4. What is your favorite book series?
I answered this above that Harry Potter and The Hunger Games are my favorite series, but I also have fallen in love with the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Another love is the "A Series Of Unfortunate Events" series by Lemony Snicket. It is essentially a series directed towards a younger crowd and I loved it when I was younger and would still consider it a favorite now, because I would reread them over and over for the rest of my life. I've even been to two book signings with the author!

5. What books did you hate reading in school?
I loved the books that were assigned in High School were great (a lot of Shakespeare and Ancient Greek History), but in my first year of college, we were assigned "Nickle and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich and it was the most boring thing I've ever read. Oh my god, I hated it.

6. What is the first book you remember reading as a child?
The first book I ever learned to read was "The Foot Book" by Dr. Suess. I remember vividly learning how to read it, sounding out the words and all. I wanted to read it to everyone once I could!

7. Bookstores or libraries?
Bookstores. I love fresh, brand spankin' new books. It's one of my favorite places to go shopping!

8. How many books do you own?
Almost 150, not including books that were "borrowed" and ones that I cannot find!

9. Do you read before bed?
Yes! In fact, I find reading so comforting that if I'm having trouble sleeping, I'll usually pick up a book and it just relaxes me and I end up being able to sleep after that (although one chapter usually leads to many more, resulting in staying up later than I expect...)

10. What is your most comfortable reading position?
Recliners are the best for reading, by far!
Besides that, I love to pile my pillows up in the corner of my bed (this only works if my bed is against the wall and my room isn't that big and my bed is huge, so I usually have my bed positioned that way).

11. What is the most recent book you read?
I'm currently finishing up Insurgent by Veronica Roth. It's taken me awhile because I've been so busy!



12. What quote from any book will you never forget? Why is it significant?
"After all this time?"
            "Always."
-Said by Snape in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

If you're a fan of Harry Potter, you'll know just how powerful and amazing this quote is to the story. It has so much meaning and emotion and it's the kind of thing that changes not only the entire story, but the entire series. It's just so heartwarming and amazing, just to even think about it and what it means.

13. Science Fiction or Fantasy?
Fantasy!

14. What books do you regret reading?
If I had ever read Twilight, .....Twilight. Sorry if this offends you.

15. How large is your bookshelf?
I currently have two 3-shelf bookcases that were made by my grandpa that I've had since I was a child and they're completely full. I also have a hanging shelf that contains all my favorite books on a wall in my room (pictured above). I have zero space for any more books though, so I plan on getting something bigger soon, like the Ikea Billy Bookcase! It's huge!

16. On average, how many books do you read per year?
10-20, but this year I want to try and read around 30-40 and expand this every single year!

17. What book can you read hundreds of times and never get tired of?
Harry Potter! I reread the whole series once every year!
When I was really young, I would read "Danny The Champion of the World" by Roald Dahl and then try to forget what happened in it so that I could just keep rereading it over and over.

18. Do you like to read outside?
I prefer to read inside while it's storming outside (it's my favorite!), but in the summer when I'm laying out in the sun, I'll usually take a book with me!

19. What's the biggest lesson you've learned from reading a book?
When I was a child, I learned that books were the greatest escape; That when you're reading a good book, that you can get so wrapped up in it's contents that the world around you just melts away.

20. Of the past year, what is the greatest book you've read?
"The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. Ugh, I loved it! & The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth has recently stolen my heart!

21. Favorite childhood books?
Roald Dahl was my absolute favorite author when I was younger. I was obsessed with him and I've read every single book he's written, even his autobiography. My favorite by him are "The Witches", "The BFG", & "Danny The Champion of the World".
Also, as I mentioned earlier, I was obsessed with the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series, as well as "The Spiderwick Chronicles".




22. Favorite reading snack?
Goldfish crackers. And chocolate. Not at the same time & do not ask me why!

23. Favorite poet?
Charles Burkowski Charles Burkowski Charles Burkowski (He is my obsession!) E.E. Cummings, & Edgar Allen Poe (duh)

24. Favorite film adaption of a novel?
Harry Potter and Coraline. Coraline is one of my favorite movies of all time.




25. A book that you didn't expect to like but did?
Fifty Shades of Gray. I expected to hate it, gave in, and ended up loving it. No shame!

26. What is your policy on book lending?
I don't lend any books anymore after too many of my favorite books being "borrowed" and never returned.

27. What makes you love a book?
When you get so wrapped up in the story that you forget everything going on around you and feel like you're in the story yourself. That, and when you fall in love with the characters, connect with them, and end up feeling like they're a figment of yourself.

28. What is your reading comfort zone?
Fantasy fiction, adventure fiction, young adult literature, and lately anything dystopian.

29. What is a book that made you cry?
When Dumbledore died in HP6 and Dobby in HP 7, The Fault in Our Stars, A Child Called "It", & that's all I can remember right now but there's probably a lot more!

30. What is a book that made you laugh?
Anything Chuck Palahniuk because he has a crazy sense of humor.

31. What is a book that made you blush?
Fifty Shades of Gray and "Snuff" by Chuck Palahniuk

32. What is the shortest book that you own?
Esio Trot by Roald Dahl. It's like 30 pages or something..

33. What is the longest book that you own?
Harry Potter, I believe the 7th book is the longest...?

34. Is there a book that you refuse to read?
TWILIGHT. I own it, because it was given to me. It's judgmental of me, but I have zero interest in reading it. True Blood is all the vampire drama I need in my life!

35. Most cherished book that you own?
One of my old friends, Mike (who I've since lost touch with) bought me this Johnny Depp biography book for my birthday one year, which was special to me then, but became even more special and unique when [one of the times I met Johnny Depp] he signed the cover!! Seems so surreal to think about now, the fact that at one point in time, he was holding that book in his beautiful hands, *sigh*...



37. Is there a book that changed your outlook on life?
A very long time ago, when I was in my younger teenage years, it took me awhile to "find myself"  and I always felt so lost and depressed. I kept to myself because I figured that if I couldn't understand and accept myself, how could anyone else understand and accept me? There's two books that I read during this time: "Looking for Alaska" by John Green and "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" by Steven Chbosky. They're both "coming of age" themed young adult fiction books and they helped me make so much sense of life and made me feel like it was okay to feel left out and helped me grow and learn to be proud to be a wallflower :) 



I mentioned earlier having gone to a couple of Lemony Snicket book signings, so I thought I'd show you!


And if there wasn't enough Harry Potter in this post, here's some more! When I was gathering books to photograph for this, I walked by this and decided to share this with you, since I don't think I've mentioned before on my blog that I FREAKING MET THE PHELPS TWINS! That's right people: me, fred, and george Weasley all together - it happened! However, this was back in 2007 when I was just barely a freshman in High School and I looked GOD AWFUL! Please ignore the horrible haircut and Donald Trump Combover, oh my god... so embarassing...







I tag all of you guys to do this tag! 
Go ahead and leave your answers (to all the questions or even a couple) in a comment below & if you do this tag yourself, go ahead and link it below as well!


Pin It
 photo lovekailan-2.jpg

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...